Whether you’re hosting a holiday party, bar mitzvah or school dance, it pays to be organized. After all you have the coordinate A LOT of details—food, venue, entertainment, invitations. You don’t have time to make numerous calls to vendors, giving them bit by bit of information. You need to be efficient, and can start by having these party details set and ready for discussion with your DJ:
- Date. This detail should be a bit obvious. A DJ cannot tell you if they are available unless you have some idea about the date (or possible dates) of the event.
- Location. If you only have the date and location, be sure to call the DJ and get on their calendar. The best DJ’s calendars fill up quickly.
- Event timeline. What time is the dinner or lunch? Will you need background music or announcements? When will the dance start? These are all details that need to be set in advance.
- Requests. If you have requests for songs or have asked your guests for requests on the invitation, send or discuss the list with your DJ in advance to ensure that your songs are played.
- Event formality. Want your DJ to dress appropriately? Discuss it with them before the event.
Having all your ducks in a row, as the old saying goes, is the key to a successful party. If you want a mobile organizing solution, download one of these party planning apps for reminders and record keeping. If you need to charge for tickets, contact a DJ before you have your event details confirmed so you have a list of all the party costs.