When you’re planning an awesome school dance, there’s not a moment to lose. We think everyone has a memory or has been to a dance that was hastily thrown together, or thrown together without any school dance planning, and the result is the same: boooring. And don’t think that planning by committee has to slow down or delay planning your homecoming, fall, spring formal or prom; with a little bit of delegation and regular meetings, you can jump start your school dance planning. What’s the rush? Staying ahead of the game with your school dance planning is important, and for five very good reasons:
- Get the best DJ. You don’t have to hang the decorations, or set the play list yet. But you do need to get on the calendar of the right DJ service to guarantee school dance success for your Homecoming or Back-to-School dance (perhaps even think ahead to Prom to save money). Anybody can play music, but selecting the right DJ that has the rockin’ play list that keeps your school dancing for the whole dance (because we’ve all seen those dances where kids fade early) is important. Contact your DJ right away, because the best school dance DJ’s calendars fill up fast.
- Save money. Check to see if your DJ service has a referral discount or an early booking discount. Often, DJ services will charge you less if you refer other clients that book their services. For example, Post Prom DJ offers a 50% discount for your party when two other schools, corporations, family members of friends confirm their party. So think BIG within your network. Save money for your school dance by asking your company to book with the same DJ for their corporate Christmas party, and ask one of the previous school classes to book with that same DJ for their 20th Class Reunion.
- School dance planning takes research. Each committee member is going to need time to research decoration, entertainment and food options that fit your budget. Take your DJ for example. Now is the time to find out what school dance packages are offered, and how they fit in with your budget. You want a package that fits the size of your dance, and the gym or venue that you’re using. Selecting the right package also means making sure you have enough money in your budget for refreshments and decorations. If you have to set a ticket price, researching your dance expenses ahead of time ensures you set the right price so you’re not left in the red.
- You can start promoting (and recruiting help!) ASAP. If you have the ticket prices, the theme and the entertainment set, you can get a jumpstart on promoting your school dance. That means more chances to push the event out on social media, in your school announcement, at school events, and anywhere else you choose to promote.
- A well-planned school dance is worth it. Doing your homework ahead of time means a memorable school dance with the right DJ, right ticket price and even cost savings with referrals. So don’t procrastinate like you did on last year’s book report; prove you’re the head of the class by planning your school dance before the due date.